14 May, 2006

Shame

One of the recurring themes in this little blog is the feelings of shame I have lived with for most of my life, and my current struggle to become free of them. So recently I’ve been pondering the subject of shame: what is it? what is it for? why is it so debilitating?

It seems to me that in one sense, shame is as essential for social health as pain is for physical health. Like pain, shame is an unpleasant feeling that normally indicates to us that something has gone wrong. It is our way of internalizing other people’s attitudes toward our actions. It provides us with a powerful inhibitor for antisocial behaviour — the prospect of feeling ashamed makes us think twice before doing something socially unacceptable. In an ideal world, of course, people would be motivated purely by the positive rewards that come from acting respectfully toward others, but realistically, we seem to need the stick in addition to the carrot.

I once knew someone who suffered from chronic pain. It didn’t matter what she was doing, what position she was in — moving, standing still, sitting, lying down — she was constantly in pain. She was unable to find any medication that would relieve her suffering; drugs that were somewhat effective in dulling the pain had such terrible side effects that they were worse than useless. Normally when we feel pain, it makes us realize that we have an injury or illness we need to take care of. In her case, I suppose, the pain was indicating something, but since nothing could be done about the root cause, it was not fulfilling any real function. I believe shame can be quite similar. Sometimes, it causes needless suffering without accomplishing anything positive at all.

Sometimes shame is associated with actions. We make an offhand remark and quickly realize it has hurt someone, and we feel ashamed. Perhaps that feeling prompts us to apologize, to try to make things right. But sometimes, shame is associated with things over which we have no control. A child’s parents can’t afford to buy him the kind of clothes that will make him look fashionable, and he feels ashamed. I met an elderly lady once, a woman of colour, who powdered her face so that her complexion would not look so dark. This, it seems to me, is the kind of shame that is profoundly harmful, that festers away deep inside us, that eats away at our soul.

As a young person beginning to experience sexual feelings, I was soon faced with an impossible dilemma. Within the framework of the Christian world-view I was raised in, to accept the feelings I had toward members of my own sex as part of my nature would mean I must by nature be perverted, evil, given over to depravity. On the other hand, trying to deny these feelings, or overcome them like a bad habit, led inevitably to failure and further feelings of guilt. Shame soon became a defining part of my personality, and coloured many aspects of how I viewed myself. Gradually, I realized that I could no more change my homosexuality than I could change the colour of my skin, and I was ashamed of who I was.

In recent months, as I have begun my journey toward self-acceptance, I have found myself understanding the idea of gay pride in a way I never did before. I used think it was a rather aggressive, in-your-face approach. Why should people take special pride in being gay? Why should they flaunt their sexuality for all to see? But now, it makes perfect sense to me. In fact, it seems so obvious I can’t imagine why I couldn’t see it before. It means not being ashamed of who we are. It means taking pride in ourselves as human beings and rejecting the negative attitudes imposed on us by others.

A twenty-five-year-old wound doesn’t heal overnight, and my situation makes the process particularly challenging. But I am blessed with some amazing friends and family, and I’m hopeful that with time, I will be able to fully accept myself, and be accepted, for who I am.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there is a difference between shame and regret. I've heard people talk about the difference between feeling condemned, and feeling convicted.

If you feel condemned, you remain rooted in shame over something you've done, but if you feel convicted, you still feel regret for what you've done, but you also feel as though it no longer has a grip on you: you're free not to do it again.

A pastor of mine once said that encounters with God always left him feeling encouraged, and that even when he was convicted about something, he felt built up, not knocked down.

You're right -- we need some negative emotion to allow us to remember that something we may have done was wrong, but not too much else we will feel overwhelmed by it.

3:16 PM  
Blogger A Troll At Sea said...

Aaron:

There is a bridge you cross where many things change shape and form -- things that should not be spoken suddenly become the thing may you cannot bear not to speak aloud. There may even be many such bridges.

But you must never think that the God who made you made a mistake. The question is, what was his intent? I have probably said far too much on this subject already, but another elderly black lady was once heard to say: "God don't make garbage."

Amen to that.

yr
Troll

7:59 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog since you posted on my friend's blog. I'm glad your wife and other friends and family members are being so supportive, but I appreciate it must still be very difficult for you.

Some parts of the church seem to excell in making us feel guilt and shame, don't they? You may laugh, but I was made to feel guilty and ashamed of being married! My great crime was to marry a non-Christian and some people really made me feel bad about that. Once I realised those people weren't necessarily expressing God's opinion and a lot of Christians thought quite differently about such things, and many more besides, including homosexuality, it took me quite a few years to shake off that feeling of uneasiness in God's presence and the idea that he disapproved of most of what I did, but I think I finally have got over it.

The most important thing I've learned is that God loves us as we are, and he doesn't want us to jump through hoops to change the core essence of who we are. He may want us to stop lying or stealing or to be more loving, but he isn't asking us for a fundamental change - and I'm not just saying that because I've no hope of being like "the good wife" of Proverbs fame. ;0)

So, yeah, be proud to be gay, and everything else that makes you who you are.

3:41 AM  
Blogger chocophiliac said...

Hello Aaron...I’m assuming your decision to allow readers to comment on your posts means you are open to considering intelligent food for thought. I have read not only your posts, but posts from all of the other blogs for which you have links on your site. I see a progression in your thinking that compelled me to write to you.

I can appreciate the conflict you are experiencing, and I know it is not easily resolved. Although I am not gay, I know what it is like to struggle with reconciling Christian faith and an aspect of one’s birth.

It is interesting to me to see what people do in a conflict of their values. I know their choice reflects their deepest commitment. In a situation of dissonance, we feel uneasy with the conflict until we reject or modify one of the conflicted beliefs. We reject or modify the one that is not the nearest and dearest to us. We retain the belief we hold most dear, revealing our deepest commitment.

In your dissonance, it looks like you are increasingly embracing homosexual behavior. That would suggest your deepest commitment is to your sexual orientation. And that would imply you are in some way modifying or rejecting your Christian faith. It’s a curiosity to me that you would hold a deeper commitment to something your faith tells you is temporal. Your faith, your relationship with God is a forever kind of thing. Christian beliefs hold that our eternal character will not have gender or sexuality. Sexual identity is just an earthly thing.

Not every feeling has to be expressed in behavior. If you have children I am sure you’ve taught them that. Some feelings are kept to ourselves, some are expressed in words, some are expressed in behavior. Our decision about whether to express a feeling and in what manner is hopefully based on principles. I do not betray myself when I choose not to express everything I feel in behavior. Honesty and integrity do not require behavioral expression as a necessary component.

And the characteristics of our birth are not meant to be governing principles for all of our life. While it is true that the eye color of birth is for life, eye color is not a behavior. Homosexuality has both feelings and behavior. I do not believe you should be shamed for your feelings. But neither do I believe that the only way to be true to yourself is to express those feelings in behavior. Babies are born completely self-absorbed and dependent. We do not use that reality as the basis for accepting selfishness and dependency for life. We expect that over the course of childhood that the person will develop and give up dependency and self absorption. Some babies are born addicted, but we do not endorse lifelong addiction for them. Not every characteristic of birth is meant to be expressed for life.

Choosing not to express sexual feelings in sexual behavior is not a new concept. People of many faiths practice celibacy. It doesn’t mean they are betraying their identity, they are embracing their faith.

I’m thinking being born gay cannot automatically mean it has to be expressed in behavior. If you have only two categories—pride or shame, then you will think that you have to manifest feelings in behavior to be true to yourself. But there is a third (albeit uncomfortable) category between the two. It is possible to accept who you are without shame, to accept that its another one of those situations that don’t make sense yet God has allowed, and to choose to adhere to your faith as your deepest commitment and reject homosexual behavior as an option.

I’m not saying its easy...clearly its not.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Freedom Bound said...

I had a moment of epiphany a while back when I realised that "pride" wasn't the opposite of "humility" for gay folk, but the opposite of "shame".

Suddenly the whole gay pride thing fell into place for me - and i feel so much better celebrating. I remember the days when it was pure political protest - how good that now it can also be celebration.....

cheers for this excellent post Aaron - so helpful.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home