21 May, 2006

Telling Mum

Last week I came out to my mother. I’d been turning around in my mind for months if and when and how I should talk to my parents. Did they really need to know about my sexuality? What difference would it make to them? Why did I feel the need to tell them — for them or for me? Would it be selfish of me to burden them with something they would just agonize over? Would they want to know?

For some time it was obvious that Mum had sensed that something was up, and was worrying. But she was afraid to ask, even when I told her some time ago that I was seeing a psychologist. Recently a friend who had been talking with her mentioned how anxious she was, and I realized that at this point, not knowing might just be worse than knowing. So I asked her to have lunch with me.

It was a brilliantly sunny day — the sort of day that makes you feel optimistic even when you have no particular reason to feel that way. We walked through the park to the restaurant, in the shade of the massive horsechestnut trees with their clusters of white and pink flowers. We chatted about all sorts of things, and I began to realize that I really hadn’t talked with my mum like this for a very long time. I think unconsciously, I’ve been gradually drawing back, distancing myself, to protect both of us.

We finished our lunch and walked back to my parents’ house. By that time, Mum had asked if I was going to tell her what was wrong, and I’d suggested we sit out in their backyard. So we sat and drank tea and I came out to my mother.

Looking back afterwards, I was struck by how easy it was. It really felt as if I was gently breaking to her something I was perfectly comfortable with, but knew would be difficult for her. It also seems, looking back, as if we were speaking across a vast intellectual and cultural gulf. In fact, I think it was the very fact that I am becoming so comfortable with being gay that made it so difficult. If I had broken down, made a tearful confession and said how much I wanted to overcome this horrible flaw in my personality, it would have been so much easier for her. As it was, she had to come to grips not only with the fact of my homosexuality but also with my refusal to accept the church’s teachings about it.

My parents have had to deal with many crises and difficult issues with their children and grandchildren over the years. I expressed to my mum how sorry I was to add to those burdens, and she confessed that she had sometimes wondered if she was being punished for something. “Or,” she said, “maybe I have some things to learn.” She is trying to have an open mind. I told her about the film Trembling before G‑d and she said she would very much like to see it. I know it’s unreasonable for me to expect her to take all this in, and make an enormous leap in her thinking, from one day to the next.

At one point, her eyes teared and she assured me that I am her son and she loves me, no matter what. And for now, I think that’s all that matters.

4 Comments:

Blogger A Troll At Sea said...

Aaron:

Congratulations. My wife has asked me how I could conceive hurting my mother so, and so the next time I went up to visit I pictured myself telling her -- I am not allowed to tell ANYONE for the time being, so it was only picturing it. And there at that table where we have talked about everyone and everything under the sun, I knew that something I could not do thirty-five years ago when I came out the FIRST time, would now be like falling off a log.

Which is not to say that it might not hurt. But I am past the worry and the sorrow and would want to do everything I could to comfort her as she tried to take in precisely the kind of hurtful truth she has been quietly removing from her life over the last few years by papering over and forgetting them...

But I think we could do it well.
Stay tuned.

the
Troll

9:20 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Congrats on coming out to your Mom. A year ago, could you even have imagined it?

Watched the movie - Trembling before G-d - thanks to your recommendation - and to Netflix. Was amazed at the similarities between the situation in Judaism and Christianity. Sometimes I think that fundamentalism is its own religion. Excellent documentary.

Thanks, Bea

8:13 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Glad your mum was OK about you coming out. Sounds like she might have a lot to come to terms with, but plans to do her best.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Freedom Bound said...

Wow - *hugs Aaron*

Awesome moment for you and your mum in so many ways! Beautiful to read it - thanks so much for sharing that.

Gonna get myself a copy of "Trembling before G-d" now. Not available in region 2 DVD - which is a crime - but have one player that can read other regions......never seen the film - looks fab though.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home