29 May, 2006

Religion, faith and life

Over the past number of months I have felt a rapidly growing sense of disconnectedness with my church. I’m sure this is in part connected with the fact that I have been accepting myself as a gay man, something for which I will certainly find no ‘official’ support in the church and no real support among the majority of members. But my feeling of alienation runs deeper than that. I have allowed myself to ask many uncomfortable questions that I had long avoided, to question the unquestionable. I suppose both these things are really part of the same small attempt to be more honest with myself and others.

The small denomination I grew up in could be described as fundamentalist. It places paramount importance on a set of theological propositions (“first principles”) which are seen to be the fundamental teachings of the Bible, propositions relating to the nature of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, angels, human beings, the devil, and salvation. It considers that all these propositions are taught in the Bible, and that acceptance of them is a requirement for inheriting eternal life.

It is a unique and unorthodox denomination in many ways. It is a lay community with no paid ministry or hierarchy of any kind, a somewhat loose association of independent congregations. Its teachings differ in many respects from those of mainstream Christianity, although most of them can be traced back to various protestant and earlier nonconformist groups.

As I have allowed myself to reexamine what I believe, what has struck me increasingly is how little emphasis there seems to be on this sort of theology in Jesus’ teaching. He seems to be completely concerned with the state of people’s hearts, their relationships with others and with God. And sadly, although over the years I have acquired quite a broad academic knowledge of the Bible, although I can quote numerous passages and engage in intelligent discussion on a wide range of subjects, truthfully I don’t feel as if I have developed a close relationship with God, nor do I manage to live the kind of loving life Jesus was calling people to live.

It almost seems as if for me (and I am speaking only for myself), this academic learning, this focus on ‘the Truth’ as a set of ‘facts’, has been a distraction rather than a help in becoming nearer to God. Perhaps this is because accepting this ‘Truth’ as a monolithic whole required me to be dishonest with myself, to bury the doubts I had about the literalness of the Bible or the nature of inspiration. As a result, I was having to play a kind of role, to appear to be something I was not, and my faith became more and more hollow.

So in parallel with the other changes in my life, I find myself having to redefine my relationship with my church and what it means to me to be a Christian. Thankfully, I don’t feel alone in this. My wife is on a very similar wavelength, and I have good friends with whom I feel free to share my thoughts. I’ve also found some great people in cyberspace whose blogs are an inspiration. Still, it’s unsettling to be drifting loose from the anchor of that simple and powerful relationship with my religious community.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Troll At Sea said...

Aaron:

You might think about talking to the Hurricane about some of this. My own feeling is that if faith, community, and connection to what Flip calls the Higher Power is really important, you will eventually find a place where you can feel at home.

I was raised outside the church, but have powerful early childhood memories of the Congregational church which is part of what makes me comfortable there [though the UCC's insistence on proclaiming itself something it should wait for others to call it is galling], and I have spent very happy years in the Lutheran and Episcopal communities.

If I were to be completely honest, I am probably an Episcopalian by nature, but the hierarchy is something that I don't cope with well, so the UCC insistence on the primacy of the congregation [which the national denomination TALKS about all the time, but constantly tries to undermine] is one of the hallmarks of "home".

I would encourage both of you to look around and see what other communities are within easy reach. In my experience, most churches are pretty eager to receive a wanderer -- some altogether too much so [I once got an entire stewardship kit just for showing up for a service in Las Vegas].

But, if you can stay focused on what is important to you and what you deeply believe, you will wind up in the right place. Sometimes, it's not in a church at all.

yr
Troll

6:16 AM  
Blogger Freedom Bound said...

aaron - I can so relate to all this.

I spent much of my life in evangelical Anglicanism. I trained for ministry at an evangelical college - but one that was open to others and encouraged questioning...how thankful I am for that.


Still asking the questions was slow and difficult at times. I was scared of losing the pillars my life seemed to rest on.....but slowly realised that those pillars were mainly the assumption that I was right about most things and were a million miles from the life of Jesus of Nazareth! LOL


So good to bump into others online travelling the same way.



(ever use MSN/Yahoo messenger?)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home